Gonorrhea is caused due to the infection of bacterium Neisseria gonorrhea which usually affects the moist and warm areas of the body such as vagina, anus, urethra, throat and eyes. It is classified as the second most occurring sexually transmitted disease (STD) as it has the risk to spread through unprotected sex or having multiple sex partners. Due to high morbidity rate and eminent threat of gonorrhea being resistant to cephalosporin, makes it necessary to understand the disease epidemiology of gonorrhea. As per the latest research citing of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s 2016 report, the global prevalence of gonorrhea is 142.1 cases per 100,000 people. The occurrence is high in women in comparison to men and widely prevalent in regions such as North America, Latin America, Africa and other developing nations of South Asia.
The World Health Organization has postulated a treatment guideline for gonorrhea in order to overcome problem of microbial resistance, which consists of use of antibiotics such as third generation cephalosporins, doxycycline, azithromycin, gemifloxacin etc. For effective diagnosis of gonorrhea, cell culture standard test is considered as gold standard due to inherent features such as high specificity, high sensitivity and relatively low cost. The problems associated with cell culture of Neisseria is the need to maintain the bacterial viability during storage and transport, and approximately 24-72 hours are required before a preliminary culture test result is obtained. Nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) has been approved by the USFDA for analyzing genital specimen only, and has been beneficial to gain positive results with very less genetic material, urine samples and vaginal swabs. For analyzing extra genital specimen, gonorrhea diagnosis is performed with serological tests, monoclonal antibodies tests, and flow cytometry etc.
The gonorrhea diagnostics market is segmented on the following bases:
- Flow Cytometry
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Gel Microdroplets
- Monoclonal Antibodies Tests
- Differential Light Scattering
- Molecular Diagnostic Tests
- Swab Tests
- Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAAT)
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
Key players identified for gonorrhea diagnostics market includes:
Abbott Laboratories, Agilent Technologies, Beckman Coulter, Inc., Becton Dickinson & Company, bioMérieux, Inc., Cepheid, Inc., PerkinElmer, Inc., Pfizer, Inc., Roche Diagnostics and Siemens AG.
This report offers:
- Market assessment is done by furnishing the market size and compounded annual growth rate considering 2017 as the base year and period from 2018 to 2026 as the forecast period
- For the geography and types segments, attractive investment proposition is given which helps diagnostic manufacturers to contemplate useful financial decisions
- Competitive landscape helps in determining the competitive milieu currently existing in the gonorrhea diagnostics market
- Financial health of leading players is considered in the financial information segment and diverse range of diagnostic kits and types are covered in the product portfolio section. Recent news coverage keeps us informed regarding the latest strategic developments and their impact on the gonorrhea diagnostics market.